Africa Awards 2022 Nominees – Geodrill Ltd
By Sarah Siva | 24 August 2022
Best Innovation in Corporate Social Development
Making fantastic from used plastic
- Geodrill formed a partnership with young entrepreneurial environmental enterprise Mckingtorch Africa, bringing an innovative approach to reducing and re-using plastic waste.
- The partnership commenced in 2020 and has produced several initiatives including:
- The production of sleeping mats for street children with Children of The Light Ghana – which saw used sachet water packets collected, cleaned and made into sleeping mats by local artisans.
- Collection points for recycling plastics established on Geodrill premises.
- The creation and installation of a 20-foot Christmas tree built creatively out of 1300 recovered plastic bottles.
- The production of the first public bus shelter made from recycled waste, which also incorporated social and public health messages. The bus shelter was featured on BBC and CNN, praising the uniqueness of the installation.
- Over the past two years, Mckingtorch has recovered over 10 tons of plastic waste including bottles, tyres and other items. Moving beyond simple recycling efforts, the projects supported by Geodrill have showcased the extent to which plastics can be re-purposed by inventive community members into creative applications.