This Charter sets out the purpose and objectives of AAMEG.
The Board of AAMEG has adopted this Charter.
AAMEG’s purpose and vision is to be the peak industry organisation, providing support to the Australian minerals and energy industry active in Africa, enhancing the industry’s capacity to become a world leader in delivering successful mining outcomes and economic development in Africa.
The objectives of AAMEG are:
(a) be the voice of the industry;
(b) raise the profile of the Australian minerals and energy industry across Africa (both nationally and internationally);
(c) facilitate strategic partnership opportunities with Australian Governments, African Governments, Non-Governmental Organisations and academia to help deliver improved community outcomes;
(d) through education and training, assist members to better understand and manage the risks specific to operating in Africa; and
(e) promote opportunities and best practice for members to better understand and deliver best practice outcomes for the communities in which they operate.
AAMEG will be managed by a Board of Directors appointed in accordance with its Constitution.
In accordance with the Constitution the Board can establish committees and can appoint a chief executive officer to assist it in carrying out its responsibilities.
Membership of AAMEG
AAMEG will have Australian organisations as its members.
The Board may expand AAMEG’s membership at its discretion.
AAMEG encourages good citizenship that recognises positive social change in host communities as a business imperative.
AAMEG members have an understanding of relevant international guiding documentation and support ethical behaviour and best practice as outlined in the following Principles of Conduct (based on the ICMM sustainable development principles).
AAMEG Principles of Conduct:
- Implement and maintain ethical business practices and sound systems of corporate governance
- Integrate sustainable development considerations within the corporate decision-making process
- Implement risk management strategies based on valid data and sound science
- Uphold fundamental human rights and respect cultures, customs and values in dealings with employees and local communities
- Provide opportunities for all employees to reach their full potential
- Seek continual improvement of our health and safety performance
- Contribute to the social, economic and institutional development of the communities in which we operate
- Implement effective and transparent engagement, communication and independently verified reporting arrangements with our stakeholders
- Seek continual improvement of our environmental performance