Africa Awards 2022 Nominees – Sarama Resources Ltd
By Sarah Siva | 24 August 2022
Emerging ESG Leader
Bringing longevity to the community of Norkama through education, employment and ecological initiatives
- Sarama’s community investment strategy is centred around infrastructure, education and health, creating opportunity for local communities and being mindful of the needs of women and children.
- The Norkama Project has been providing educational supplies to the communities surrounding Sarama’s operations in Burkina Faso for the past 7 years. In 2022 the project expanded with broader and more targeted distribution of supplies and the addition of healthcare materials. The project reached 1,600 students and several local medical clinics.
- The company invested in facility upgrades and food supply at Norkama Primary School, building three new classrooms and establishing a school canteen program. The enhanced learning environment has contributed to a more than 100% increase in student numbers, a more than doubling of the female participation rate, and improved student performance. The school has also become a recognised Government exam centre.
- The Norkama Organic Garden provides an open, freely accessible space that grows organic produce providing a natural and sustainable food resource for employees and surrounding communities. The program also provides land care education, with women from the Norkama community employed to work in the garden in a paid capacity.
- In addition, some of the food sourced from the garden is allocated towards Sarama’s school canteen program.