Sarama Resources Ltd, Winner Emerging ESG Leader 2022 Africa Award
By Sarah Siva | 2 September 2022
Education, employment and ecological initiatives to bring longevity to the community of Norkama, West Africa
- Sarama’s community investment strategy is centred around infrastructure, education and health, creating opportunity for local communities and being mindful of the needs of women and children.
- The Norkama Project has been providing educational supplies to the communities surrounding Sarama’s operations in Burkina Faso for the past 7 years. In 2022 the project expanded with broader and more targeted distribution of supplies and the addition of healthcare materials. The project reached 1,600 students and several local medical clinics.
- The company invested in facility upgrades and food supply at Norkama Primary School, building three new classrooms and establishing a school canteen program. The enhanced learning environment has contributed to a more than 100% increase in student numbers, a more than doubling of the female participation rate, and improved student performance. The school has also become a recognised Government exam centre.
- The Norkama Organic Garden provides an open, freely accessible space that grows organic produce providing a natural and sustainable food resource for employees and surrounding communities. The program also provides land care education, with women from the Norkama community employed to work in the garden in a paid capacity.
- In addition, some of the food sourced from the garden is allocated towards Sarama’s school canteen program.
4 October 2023
AAMEG CEO presents at WAMS Conference in Ghana
2 October 2023
2023 – 2024 BOARD NOMINATIONS OPEN
8 September 2023
2023 Africa Award Winners – Australians Pioneer Positive Change in Africa
6 September 2023
Lucapa, Nominee for Established ESG Leader Award for a Resource Producing Company, 2023 Africa Award