Senate Inquiry Response Submitted
AAMEG are pleased to share with you our submission to the Federal Government for the ongoing Senate inquiry into Australia’s trade and investment relationships with the countries of Africa. Our submission seeks to demonstrate to the government the important role the Australian resources industry plays across the African continent and the positive impacts we as a collective minerals and energy industry are making. This inquiry is a direct result of our ongoing advocacy at the parliamentary level.
Our recommendations to the Federal Government included:
- Engaging a data collection service to better understand the scope and depth of the Australian resources industry’s involvement on the African continent, including its comparative advantage globally and the economic benefits it generates for the Australian government, employees and companies.
- Increasing support for the Australian resources sector comparative advantage by developing a level of engagement with the countries of Africa, consistent with the Australian resources industry’s commercial engagement and level of operating challenges.
- Engaging more collaboratively with the industry on capacity-building initiatives to take advantage of obvious synergies, reduce overall costs of specific initiatives and better support the government and industry’s overlapping diplomatic and socio-economic interests.
- Targeting initial support to resource-rich African countries in which the Australian resources industry already has substantial interest and involvement.
- Developing a well-informed, long-term strategy to achieve a steady level of engagement with host governments.
AAMEG continues to actively support its members by building the Australian Government’s understanding of and support for the Australian resources sector operating in Africa. We will share the results of this inquiry once available on, or after 14 February 2018.
Thank you to our members who contributed content, and a special acknowledgement to Bill Turner, who wrote and coordinated the response on behalf of AAMEG – your expertise and time is invaluable.