Global Mine 2019: What’s driving the top 40 miners?
The report “Global Mine 2019” has been released by PWC.
Mining – there are so many good things that have happened since our last report, but never have the broader challenges been so large. In this year’s Global Mine analysis, Resourcing the Future, PWC consider how the top 40 global mining companies are dealing with:
- Revenues are up 8%
- Record dividends paid to shareholders
- Deal activity is aplomb – up $30BN
- Diversity – 21% female board appointees
- Capex is up 12% ($57BN) for the first time in five years
- Trade wars and geopolitical crises
- Climate debate – mining is a key player
- Reputational transformation – mining’s brand problem
- Skills shortage
- Digital laggards – mining companies need to take a broader view of technology
There’s a finite window of opportunity for mining organisations – who are well-positioned thanks to strong operating fundamentals – to address many of these issues.
Leveraging new technologies, addressing global concerns and maintaining a disciplined strategy to creating ongoing value for shareholders will help ensure a solid future for the sector and those who benefit from it.