- This event has passed.
BREAKFAST ROUNDTABLE INVITATION: Practical Insights Into Social Licence
9 April @ 7:00 am - 8:15 pm
Social licence reflects the evolving nature of the relationships between industries and their communities and other stakeholders. Increasingly there has been a shift in societal expectations, in Australia and overseas, and there is notably higher scrutiny from governments and the investor community on how the extractive industry builds their social licence.
One thing is clear, building social licence is not easy.
Here’s your opportunity to talk with the architects and managers of the Base Resources project, which is currently assisting 3,500 farmers to triple their income. John Cook (Director Africa) and Eddy Chibu (Country Manager – Kenya) will provide practical insights on:
- The road map to achievable outcomes for mining companies.
- What it takes to develop community programs that have tangible impact on the ground.
- How to resolve community concerns regarding a mine’s operations and achieve outcomes that meet community needs.
- How to build partnerships with other stakeholders that have a vested interest in the project.
- How to manage the risk of the mine taking on the role of local government, and design programs that complement policies, rather than creating mine dependence.
This event presents an opportunity to share insights and learnings and understand the challenges and opportunities associated with this model of development, based on a current case study.
CASE STUDY: KWALE PROJECT
Initially focused on the development of a cotton supply chain with Cotton On Group as the buyer, the project’s ecosystem has expanded to ten other enterprises including the production of sorghum for Diageo Breweries, poultry, eggs, potatoes and feed grains. This initiative has created strong and positive relationships with local communities, creating economic opportunities. Acknowledging the effectiveness of this approach, the Kenyan government has adopted the model, delivering it to 600,000 farmers across the country.
Please see their website for further details.